Misdemeanor Crimes Lawyer in Monroe, NC
Skilled Defense in Union County
Being charged with a misdemeanor can have serious consequences. Even if you are found not guilty, you will have to spend time and money on your case. If you are convicted, you could face serious penalties that could affect your life in a number of ways. For example, you could end up with a criminal record that will make it difficult to get a job or housing. You could also be deported if you are not a U.S. citizen.
Fortunately, our firm is here to help. Our Monroe misdemeanor crimes attorney is a skilled and experienced attorney who has handled thousands of cases. We will work hard to get your charges dismissed or reduced and help you avoid the harsh penalties that could result from a conviction.
What is a Misdemeanor?
A misdemeanor is a criminal offense that is less serious than a felony.
However, if you are convicted of a misdemeanor, you could still face serious penalties, including:
- Jail time
- Loss of your driver's license
- Community service
- Counseling or treatment
In North Carolina, misdemeanor offenses are also classified into different classes, each carrying its own set of penalties. The classification of misdemeanors in North Carolina is based on the severity of the offense committed.
Here is an overview of the misdemeanor classes and penalties in North Carolina:
- Class A1 misdemeanor - Considered the most serious class of misdemeanors in North Carolina, punishable by up to 150 days in jail and a fine determined by the court.
- Class 1 misdemeanor - Carries a potential punishment of up to 120 days in jail and a fine determined by the court.
- Class 2 misdemeanor - Punishable by a maximum of 60 days in jail and a fine of no more than $1,000.
- Class 3 misdemeanor - Carries a potential punishment of up to 20 days in jail and a fine of up to 200.
Examples of Misdemeanor Charges
There are a wide range of misdemeanor charges.
Some of the most common include:
- Driving while license revoked
- Reckless driving
- No insurance
- Driving with a suspended license
- Receiving stolen property
- Petty theft
- Failure to return rental property
Why You Should Hire a Skilled Misdemeanor Crimes Attorney
Facing misdemeanor charges can be stressful and overwhelming. You may feel like you have nowhere to turn. Alas, you do not have to go through this alone. We are a trusted and respected Monroe misdemeanor defense firm that has handled thousands of cases. We will work hard to get your charges reduced or dismissed and help you avoid the penalties that could result from a conviction.
Years of combined legal experience.
110%Effort given on every case we handle.
Clients helped with their legal matters.